Friday, October 24, 2014

A few words with Erika Szabo

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm always busy doing something, because I hate the feeling of boredom. I work as a nurse supervisor, and in my free time I write paranormal fantasy, and also, Alternative Healing books that I offer free on my website. I love helping animals, so I founded the Read for Animals anthology project, the royalty from the sales of the books is donated to animal shelters. I provide manuscript critique and book interior design/formatting service to fellow writers, and I do occasional contests on my website to promote authors. 

Coffee or tea?
Coffee, definitely coffee. I always search for the best flavor mixture, thus I always have at least 4-5 different coffee beans in my cabinet.

Do you have a favorite type of music to write to?
I love listening to classical music when I write. My favorites are Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Kodaly, Puccini and Beethoven.

Of your characters which one is your favorite?
I only have one book published so far, Protected By The Falcon, book one of the Ancestor’s Secrets series. Book two, Chosen By The Sword is coming soon.
My favorite character is Ilona. She is sensitive, honest and strong. She has to learn about her heritage, and accept the supernatural powers bestowed upon her. She is forced to fight for her family, friends, as well as the future of her people, whilst dealing with everyday life and her confusing, yet exciting love life. She is conflicted between having confidence in her inherited abilities, while having no confidence as a woman. Her insecurity created barriers, which keep others out, and I also keep her caged in. She has been evacuated from her easy and steady life, and is forced to face the unknown. Ilona is determined to control and guide her own life. Resourceful and daring, she crosses the line and breaks the sacred rules, but also must face the consequences.

Excerpt:
Suddenly, out of the blue, I heard the seductive voice from my dream. Am I losing my marbles? As if confirming that I wasn’t losing it, I heard the voice again, right behind me. The sound started electrical ripples down my spine. I glanced over my shoulder and saw the man from across the gallery the other day standing beside Robert. He was even more attractive up close. He turned toward me, probably sensing my stare. Startled, I tried to look away, but couldn’t. His eyes mesmerized me and held me captive. I wanted to keep his face etched in my mind forever. I slowed time a little, and from the corner of my eye, I saw those around me moving in slow motion.
His face contorted into an evil and sinister grimace, as he stared right at me. His movements didn’t slow with the rest of the people around us; he moved with normal speed, just like me. His eyes became black, and his pupils distended. His body posture displayed a charging mode, as if he were going to attack me. He shook his head, then shuddered and snarled quietly. A great inner turmoil showed on his face, as if he were fighting with something extremely powerful. He clenched his fists and his knuckles turned pasty white. His jaw was shut tight and I heard him grinding his teeth. Sickening warmth spread from the pit of my stomach through my entire body. I could swear my legs turned to jelly, and my palms sweated. I had to swallow hard to get rid of the lump building up in my throat and couldn’t fathom how such a gorgeous creature could become so malevolent.
I was in shock and didn’t understand what was happening when his face smoothed and his body relaxed. I quickly returned time to normal, and he seemed as if he hadn’t been aware of what happened. His inviting blue eyes sparkled as he smiled at me, and then turned to Robert.
I just imagined it. I had to… he can’t be that malicious person I just saw. Oh, crap! What is happening to me and why? I questioned myself, knowing I couldn’t get the answer, not there and not then. I turned back to the computer, my heart thumped in my chest so loudly I was afraid the others might hear it, and tried to compose myself. Deep breaths steadied my raging thoughts and racing heart.
Then I heard Robert’s voice. “Ilona, let me introduce to you Zoltan Kiss, one of our new physicians. He will be training with me today, and he’ll be your partner after he settles in,” Robert explained, tapping my shoulder.
My heart fluttered like a startled bird in its cage ready to take flight. I was afraid to look up. What if I see that evil look in his eyes again? I hesitated, pretending to finish the sentence in my notes, and then raised my hand to make him hold on for a second. I gathered my courage and looked straight into a pair of deepest and warmest blue eyes I have ever seen. He looked perfect, and I didn’t see or feel any trace of evil in him. His eyes locked on mine for a fraction of a second, and I thought I saw a brief shock on his face and a hint of pain in his eyes, but after a fleeting second, it had vanished.
I am totally losing my mind. I'm sure of it. He is gorgeous, and he seems perfectly normal now. Why do I have to see evil where there is none, or is there? Does that mean that because I’m a Hun adult I have the power to see what is deep inside people? If this is the case, I don’t want this, and whoever gave me this ability of insight, can take it back. I wanted to forget his sinister look and tried to force myself to believe it never happened.
“Hello,” he said simply. His deep, purring voice sounded exactly as in my dream. How could my unconscious mind conjure up his voice in my dream? I never heard his voice before. I gathered my courage, turned my chair and looked at him. He extended his right arm slowly, offering our traditional greeting. He looked into my eyes, and something awoke in my core that had been dormant all my life. I felt the electric tingling sensation shoot through me, as if it wanted to reach every cell in my body. It was an exciting and new sensation. This feeling was pure and good, nothing like the powerful evil feeling I had before. I ground my teeth and forced myself to act normal.

Say something damn it, and hold yourself together. “It’s nice to meet you, Zoltan,” I whispered, still feeling his mesmerizing vibes. I looked down at his hand, and noticed the small blood-red ancient symbol, etched into his inner right wrist, just like mine.

Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.